|Abstract Title:||Measurement of Uncertainty: The sine qua non of Fitness for Purpose|
|Session Choice:||Emission Monitoring|
|Presenter Name:||Yves Tondeur|
|Company/Organisation:||It's About Purpose, LLC|
Abstract Information :
Low Dioxins TEQ-Regulated Emissions? Do you need assurance that the testing results lead to effective decisions? Using actual data, a stakeholders’ fit-for-purpose approach to build confidence during decision making is discussed by addressing a fundamental question within the context of the technology-in-use and the challenges associated with measuring low concentrations of dioxins in flue gas samples.
How does one measure “quality”?
Is it by…
▪ Following the method to the letter and doing nothing to overcome sample matrix-related difficulties?
▪ Meeting arbitrary, obsolete, irrelevant, fixed and nonperformance-based “quality control” criteria?
Or is it when the…
▪ User (regulatee), the stack testing firm and the laboratory work together to stay ahead of the curve?
▪ Plant manager is satisfied with its emission found below regulatory limit and knows that there is a 5% chance that the true value is above the limit?
▪ Plant manager knows that there is a quantifiable possibility or probability that the laboratory contributed to the measured value to be above the limit?